Leave No Trace Trainer Course to be offered at GRP in March 2016
By Ruby Compton
The Leave No Trace Trainer Course emphasizes skills and techniques essential to Leave No Trace minimum impact outdoor ethics and education.
Learning Objectives: Participants will…
- experience 16 hours of experiential instruction, the majority of which will occur in the field.
- camp one night on a private wildlife preserve at the headwaters of the Green River in the heart of the Blue Ridge mountains.
- understand the role and function of a Leave No Trace Trainer.
- gain a greater understanding and knowledge of principles and ethics of Leave No Trace.
- acquire and practice teaching skills and techniques for classroom and field settings.
- understand the role and function of the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics.
Who is this course for?
Summer camp staff, outdoor professionals, trip leaders, high school age campers (must be at least 15 to complete the course and must have parental consent), college students, alumni, and parents of campers. Staff members from other camps and outdoor programs outside of Green River Preserve are welcome.
When is it?Saturday, March 12, 8:00 a.m. to Sunday, March 13, 4:00 p.m.
What should I bring?
A more comprehensive packing list will be sent upon registration. Though this course includes backpacking, it is not a course designed to teach a person how to backpack. Prior knowledge and comfort outdoors is required. You will be responsible for providing a tent or shelter, sleeping bag, water bottle, proper clothing, mess kit, and meals. Green River Preserve will provide stoves, water purification, bear bags, and may rent backpacks to participants at a price of $20 per pack. Participants may bring their own stoves if preferred.
Participants will receive a Leave No Trace Educator’s Toolkit, patch, pin, bumper sticker, trowel, and mug/cup. Participants are responsible for providing four meals for themselves that can be stored and cooked in the backcountry. Current GRP staff and campers receive a discount. Please call for info.
RegistrationRegistration is available online or by completing the Trainer Course GRP Registration and emailing it to or mailing it to the following address:
c/o Leave No Trace Trainer Course
301 Green River Road
Cedar Mountain, NC 28718
Please note your payment method preference on your registration form. Payment can be made by check or cash or via Paypal
Email Ruby Compton at or call her at 828.698.8828.